9.11.2011

When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead

age group: 13 & up
rating: 8
genre: mystery, suspense, time travel!

Most time travel books are really confusing, but this one was really good at explaining things. Like Harry Potter, everything fits together in the end; the reader has an epiphany. The story begins when Miranda finds a note addressed to her saying "I am coming to save your friend's life and my own." I especially liked it because I'm always trying to find the balance between too much "pretend" in the story or too much school drama. In When You Reach Me, it had the right mix of school, friends, and mystery.
Like all time travel stories, this one had a slight glitch. In the movie, Somewhere in Time (which I loved), the origination of the watch is a mystery. (SPOILER ALERT!) The note to Miranda was written to her by a person traveling trough time. The only way this person knew what to do and what to write on the note was the fact that Miranda gave it to him years before. The question is: who wrote the original note?

1 comment:

  1. my family loves this book! I haven't personally read it, but my sister got my brother, my dad, and is attempting to get me to read it in the three weeks that we have it from the library.

    ReplyDelete